Words can't describe what I am feeling right now. Warwick was hit pretty hard by this hurricane. A lot more than we expected thats for. We woke up at 6:20am to find the water rising- very quickly. Ten minutes later this picture was taken. We used to have a river, but that didn't exist anymore. We now lived in a lake house. With water surrounding us.
 |
| 6:30am |
Three hours later there was still no change in the water level, it was just getting faster and deeper. The river overflowed unto the road causing some damage. And the cars to get submerged in A LOT of water.
 |
| 9:30am |
Within minutes, the house was flooded. We started to bring whatever we could upstairs, leaving the couches, which are soaked. My parents brand new kitchen table, was soaked a good 4 inches.
 |
| 6:45am- about 4 inches |
Once we got the chance, we went to the cars. They were completely submerged by a good 2 feet of water. No joke. Theres a lot of water in the cars. I spent a good hour drying it up with the dry vac, but minutes later it was soaked yet again. The water just keeps coming out of nowhere. We were convinced that the little car was going to float away. Thankfully it didn't.
 |
| about 6 inches inside the cars |
Several long hours later, the water started to recede, and thats when the cleaning up began. We soaked up as much as we could with the dry vac, but it can only do so much. Eventually we started cutting up the carpet, and bye bye carpet it goes. We now have cement flooring for our living room.
 |
| Our new living room-with no carpet. |
Warwick is a beautiful town, and this is just devastating. Once I set the internet back on, I went right to FaceBook to see updates on the rest of the area. These pictures were taking by the Emergency Services. When I saw this it honestly made me cry a bit. It had gotten flooded once before but NEVER like this. This is a disaster.
 |
| Village of Warwick-taken by Fire Dept. |
Kings highway, where I live. A lot of other roads in Warwick are like this. It's so sad that something like a storm can destroy so much in such little time. So scary.
 |
| Kings Hwy- one of the many roads that collapsed |
I am grateful that we are all okay. We're not in any physical danger, just a lot of emotions, and hard work ahead of us. It was even scarier when the Fire Dept came by to make sure that we were okay since the river overflowed that half of them were teenagers that I went to high school with.
It sure is going to take a long time for Warwick to get back into the swing of things. We'll get through it all soon enough.
Hurricane Irene you ruined a lot of things! Leave us alone!
No comments:
Post a Comment