Sunday, June 3, 2012

Canyoneering in Moab, UT

This was by far the best experience of my life! It was as great as skydiving! I first came across this class on my birthday! I had been looking to add this class but hadn't heard from the teacher at all, but on my birthday I had received a phone call! My roommate Nicole is in the class, and she had put in a good word for me. The teacher had been looking to let one person add the class, and he decided on me! And you know why? Because I am small! I was small, and so we would be able to fit the extra person in the van. For once, my shortness has come to my benefit! And boy was I GLAD!!! And so the adventure begins...
We got to go on a 4 day trip to Moab, UT. I had never been, and honestly didn't know what it was going to be like. We left on a wednesday afternoon and got into Moab around 1am. It was amazing, we slept under the stars. The trillions of stars. It was absolutely beautiful. We woke up early Thursday and starting hiking. That day we went to Upper and Lower Granary Canyon. It was a long day thats for sure. We hiked about 11-13 miles that day. It was amazing, it was my first real experience of repelling. That night it was calm as can be as we slept under the stars. But in the middle of the night it turned drastically. I have never been in some much wind in my life. Sand was everywhere, and none of us slept. I woke up with sand in my hair (which I have a lot which meant I had tons of sand in my hair) up my nose, and in my mouth. That was the worst part, no joke, it was it in my teeth for HOURS. I made breakfast that morning for the crew and we had sand in our food too because it was still windy. we got a good start and drove past Arches National Park, and went to Corona Arch. It was huge! We spent a lot longer there then we planned there because of other people going off the arch. Since we had to wait a little bit, we found another spot there that we could repel off.  This turned out to be my biggest repel, of 200 feet! SO COOL! We then spent the rest of the night in the town of Moab, which I loved. There were Jeeps everywhere, and anyone who knows me knows that a Jeep is my dream car. So I was in heaven! That night we then drove up to La Sal National Forest. It's so weird that one day we can be in the desert and within a few miles we were in the forest. It was a ton colder here, and just as windy. The worst part of it being windy here though is that trees were falling down everywhere, so I didn't sleep because I was paranoid that a tree would break and land on us! Saturday morning we headed into Pleiades Canyon, our final trip. This was amazing!! My favorite canyon by far. This was a wet canyon, which meant that we basically repelling though a huge waterfall.  I don't have any pictures of this canyon, at least not yet.
We drove home once we got through this canyon, and drove back to  Rexburg. It was cold and rainy. The whole drive home I wondered why I was leaving 90* sunny beautiful whether. I cannot wait to go back! Can I also mention how much I love my major? This class was a requirement!
Here are some of the many pictures that I took this trip.
This was our first campsite, right next to the canyon


Isn't this view amazing?!


Corona Arch

Our night in Moab, some of the crew

La Sal National Forest


My ridiculous sock tan....

Had to get a picture with a Jeep...



Kayla!

Repelling from Corona Arch

One of my favorites


This was after Pleiades Canyon... I was so cold my friend Ali warmed me up!

You see that tiny dot at the top of the Arch? Yup thats me :)

Hopefully more pictures will come.... I have all of them on Facebook so go visit my page!

1 comment: